1. Rather than help their children do schoolwork, parents should encourage their children do their homework independently.
2. A city wants to help teachers of its high school students (age14-18) improve their teaching. It is considering two plans:
1) Choose a small group of excellent teachers; these teachers will attend a class led by an expert for additional training in how to teach effectively, and they will then come back to their schools and provide that training for other teachers in school.
2) Provide additional training in teaching effectively for high school teachers, using online material that each teacher will study individually.
3. Which of the following summer arrangements is better for a 16-17 year old student of grade eleven?
1) Get ready for some of the major courses they want to study in College
2) Led by the teacher to visit museums or historical sites, and then write paper
4. High school teachers (teachers of students ages 14-18) spend most of class time lecturing (speaking) while the students listen and take notes. Other high school teachers spend most of class time on discussion and projects that students are highly involved in and exchange their ideas. Which of these two approaches do you think is more effective for student learning and why?
5. Parents give their children weekly money to buy whatever they want. Some people think this can cause bad habits and ideas about money in children. Others think the opposite. What's your opinion?
6. If your friend wants to reduce living expenses, which one would you suggest?
1) Find a roommate that can share the living expenses.
2) Buy the new technology products (cell phone) less frequently
7. Students should arrive school early in the morning. Recently some students need to arrive school at the early time in the morning. Some people think that starting school day early is a good approach to support learning, while other people think that starting school day at the later time is a good approach to support learning.
8. In times of economic crisis, in which field do you think the government can cut financial support?
3.)Parks and public gardens
9. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Getting advice from friends who are older than you is more valuable than getting that from your peers.
10. People who develop different skills are more successful than people who develop one skill.
11. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Primary school should consider spend more time on teaching young student technology (like computer) than teaching music and art
12. Some teenagers take part in all kinds of activities, such as musical classes, sports classes and so on, but others only focus on one activity which is important to them. Which idea do you support?
13. High school students should take at least a year off to work or travel before they begin to study in university.
14. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is more important to have facilities rather than hire more teachers.
15. Some believes that spending more time be far away from the people we care about, because it is necessary for people to understand the importance of relationship of people we care about, while others think being away from people we care about can damage our relationships with them.
16. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? People should be open to new ideas and change his or her mind to be successful.
17. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: One can learn a lot about another person from the books and the movies that the person likes.
18. It's more important to use your own knowledge and experience than ask others' knowledge and experience to solve problems.
19. Nowadays people are more willing to help the people they don't know(for example, giving clothing and food to the people who need them) than people were in the past.
20. Some people believe going on field trips is better for children’s education (eg. go to museum), while others think it is better for children to study in the classroom at school. Which one do you prefer and explain why.
1. Which of the following areas of current events do you most like to read?
3) Arts and films
2. Which of the following three behaviors would you consider the most negative for kids? Being selfish, saying impolite things or speaking loudly in public
3. If your friend takes a job working late in the night to earn money for a summer trip to Spain, but he goes to bed late and cannot concentrate on the class next day, what advice would you give him?
4. A friend of yours is going to have an important job interview and has asked for your advice. What do you think your friend should do in order to have a successful job interview? Explain why.
5. Which of the following functions of the smart phone will benefit students the most?
1) Listening to music
2) Recording the lecture
3) Taking photos
6. There are several ways you can get to know a country without traveling abroad. Which of the following ways would you like to choose?
1) Reading books
2) Watching videos
3) Joining online communication groups
Choose one and explain why.
7. Which one of the following means of transportation do you consider to be the most enjoyable?
Explain why you enjoy it.
8. Talk about a social or political event that is celebrated in your country. Describe the event and explain how people in your country celebrate it. Use details and examples in your explanation.
9. Talk about one way your personality has changed since you were a child. Use examples and details to explain your answer.
10. If the government wants to invest in the following fields, which one do you think is the most worthwhile?
1) land exploration
3) health care
11. How should parents teach their kids to work with others?
12. If a mayor is to be selected from the following candidates, who all have no political experience but are successful in their own field, which one do you think is the best candidate for mayor?
1) A university professor
2) A businessman
3) A doctor
13. Which of the following qualities do you think is the most important for a university student to be successful?
1) Highly motivated
Choose one of these qualities and explain why it is important.
14. Do you think it’s necessary for children’s growth for them to live far away from
home and stay with relatives or friends during school breaks?
15. Your friend has just moved to a new city and is nervous about making new friends.What advice would you give your friend?
16. Describe the best way for you to deal with disagreement with your friend.
17. What is the most important habit that parents can teach their children?
18. Your university has acquired a piece of land next to the campus. There have been three options for the use of the land. Which do you prefer? Why?
1) the athletic facilities and stadiums
2) a park with nature trails
3) centers for students and hotel for campus guests
19. here is going to have students’ TV show. Which show would you like to watch? Please Give your reasons.
1) Interview school leaders
2) Students’ debate on political and social topics
3) Comedy about school life
20. Your local community center wants to add some new workshops or programs for children. Which of the following do you think would be the most beneficial for children’s development?
1) Art craft workshop
2) Technology workshop
3) Athletic programs
1. Some people prefer to give their opinions immediately. Others prefer to wait and listen to others’ opinions before giving their own. Which one do you think is better?
2. Some people prefer to resolve problems with friends directly face to face or on the phone. Some others prefer to resolve problems by writing, sending E-mail or text message. Which one do you prefer? Why?
3. If you have more money, do you want to spend your money on objects like clothes and electronic devices or spend your money on experience?
4. Some people do not enjoy shopping and shop only when they have a specific purchase to make. Others like to go shopping for pleasure whether or not they have something to buy. Which do you prefer and why?
5. Some people have one career throughout their lives. Other people do different kinds of work at different points in their lives.Which do you think is better? Explain why.
6. Some people prefer living in a big city. Other people prefer living in the countryside, away from urban areas. Which do you think is better? Explain why using specific details in your explanation.
7. If you are to choose between 2 apartments to live in next semester, one apartment is near the campus but slightly expensive. The other is a little far from the campus but cheaper. Which one do you prefer and why?
8. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? To protect the health of young children, advertisement for candy and junk food should not be shown on television. Use specific reasons and details in your response.
9. Some people like to use smart phone or other navigational devices to guide their road while traveling; some prefer to ask around. Which do you prefer and why?
10. Do you agree or disagree that one of the best ways to learn about a country is to watch its TV shows?
11. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It’s getting harder and harder to save money than before.
12. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? People today have healthier lifestyles than people did 100 years ago.Use specific examples and details to support your opinion.
13. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Participating in team sports is a good way for young person to learn team cooperation.
14. Some people believe old people should not take risk and participate adventurous events as the young people. Do you agree? Why?
15. Do you agree or disagree that children who do sports at a young age will be more aggressive in the future?
16. Some managers tend to check worker’s task closely or frequently; while others tend to check them rarely or causally. Which is better for the management?
17. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is more important to maintain relationship with family members than with friends.
18. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Students will learn more if the teachers are kind and friendly.Use specific examples and details to support opinion.
19. Female and male university students should have separate residence halls. Do you agree or disagree?
20. Do you think it is reasonable to give a lower grade to the assignment that hand in after deadline